The Lowcountry Area Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Coalition is offering free income tax assistance in Allendale, Bamberg, Barnwell, Beaufort, Colleton, Hampton, and Jasper Counties for low- to-moderate income, elderly, and limited English proficient (LEP) individuals and families. Tax preparation will begin on January 30 and end April 18, 2017 at a number of locations listed in the documents below.
Additional locations may be added based on regional needs and the availability of organizations willing to host volunteers. To get involved or to schedule an appointment, call 843-321-9071.
- Proof of identification (photo ID)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse, and dependents
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- All Forms 1095 (A, B, C), Health Insurance Statements
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
To file your taxes online at no charge, visit http://www.myfreetaxes.com.
More about VITA
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) is a national program staffed by local volunteers to provide free preparation and electronic filing of income tax returns. It is an important service to thousands of individuals and families in our area with low-to-moderate incomes who are eligible for tax credits. Since 2009 VITA has helped 14,000 Lowcountry households and contributed more than $30 million to the local economy.
The Lowcountry Area Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Coalition was formed in 2008. The Coalition represents a partnership between the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), United Way of the Lowcountry, Beaufort County government, numerous sponsors, partner organizations, and volunteers.