22 Jan Free Tax Prep is Back and Better Than Ever!
Free Tax Prep is Back and Better Than Ever for Qualified Lowcountry Residents
Tax season is just around the corner, but there’s no need to stress!
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program is back in the Lowcountry, offering free, IRS-certified tax return preparation to help you maximize your refund and embrace financial self-sufficiency.
VITA, a collaboration between the IRS, Beaufort County Human Services Alliance, and United Way of the Lowcountry (UWLC), kicks off its popular program the first week in February. Whether you’re a working family, a college student or a retiree, VITA can help you navigate the tax code and claim every deduction and credit you deserve such as the ETIC (Earned Tax Income Credit).
“Financial literacy and access to resources are key pillars of building a stable future,” says Dale Douthat, UWLC President and CEO. “VITA equips our community with the tools and knowledge to navigate the tax system and gain control of their finances, paving the way for long-term prosperity.”
Last year alone, VITA volunteers helped 1,873 residents claim over $2.65 million in refunds, empowering them to pay bills, save for the future, and improve their financial well-being.
New This Year:
- Virtual Tax Prep: Can’t make it to a physical site? No problem! You may be able to opt for secure online tax filing from the comfort of your own home.
- Three New Locations: Hilton Head Library and the VIM Clinic on Hilton Head Island as well as the Morris Center in Ridgeland. VITA has sites that expand not only in Beaufort but also into Bamberg, Barnwell, Colleton and Jasper counties, bringing free tax help closer to more Lowcountry residents.
- Super Saturday: Join VITA for a fun and informative FREE tax prep event with bilingual interpreters, a resource fair, giveaways, and even a food truck and music on Saturday, February 10 at the Hardeeville Recreation Center in Hardeeville. Rain or Shine. Walk-ins and appointments available.
Who is Eligible for VITA Services?
- Individuals and families with incomes under $63,398
- Non-English-speaking taxpayers
- Individuals with disabilities
- Persons 60 years of age and older
Click HERE to find a VITA site near you, schedule an appointment, and download a list of required documents. Don’t miss out on this valuable opportunity to get your taxes done accurately, efficiently and absolutely free! Check out your eligibility today for the EITC refundable credit. If you qualify and claim it, you could pay less in taxes or get a bigger IRS refund. Check your eligibility today at www.irs.gov/eitcassistant.
About United Way of the Lowcountry
United Way of the Lowcountry serves local donors who are committed to empowering individuals in Beaufort and Jasper counties to achieve self-sufficiency in order to create a brighter future for their families. By investing in vital services that fulfill the immediate basic needs of the most vulnerable members of our community, and in education and economic mobility strategies, we ensure that our donor’s support makes a sustainable, lasting impact in our community. Discover how you can invest in the community to make a difference at www.uwlowcountry.org. Together, we can foster self-sufficiency, uplift lives and build a stronger Lowcountry.